Begin Main Content Area

Federal Civilian Employees (UCFE) FAQs

Expand AllClick here for a more accessible version

Why aren't my wages readily available for unemployment purposes?

Click here to read more.

The federal government does not report wages to the states each quarter as other employers do. After you file your claim, PA will request wage and separation information from your former federal employer.

Are there any additional documentation(s) needed?

Click here to read more.

You must mail or fax copies, not originals, of supporting documentation to the UC service center. Supporting documentation should include:

  • Standard Form 8, Notice to Federal Employee About Unemployment Compensation;
  • Standard Form 50, Notification of Personnel Action, or its equivalent;
  • and other documents such as Form W-2, Withholding Tax Statement, and/or pay stubs

If these documents are not immediately available, do not delay filing an initial application for benefits. Mail copies of all necessary documents to the UC service center as soon as those documents are available to you.

Click here for a list of service centers

What will happen to my weekly benefit amount if the wages I provided are different than the reported wages?

Click here to read more.

The wage information you provide will establish financial eligibility, subject to correction upon receipt of information from the federal agency. Benefit payments made may have to be adjusted based on information from the federal agency. Any amount of underpayment of benefits will be adjusted promptly, and any amount of overpayment of benefits may have to be repaid or offset against future benefits.

Why can't I use my federal wages to establish a PA UC claim?

Click here to read more.

The state cannot use certain types of federal work to establish a claim. For example, if you worked under contract and received an IRS 1099 instead of a W-2, you may not be able to use those wages on your claim. The federal agency advises the state whether the work you provided was "federal civilian employment" for UC claim purposes. If you disagree with the findings, you can file an appeal.

How does my duty station affect eligibility in PA?

Click here to read more.

Unemployment benefits may be payable, in PA as set forth in the federal law (5 U.S.C. 8501 et seq.), if you were a former federal civilian employee and

  • Your last official duty station was in Pennsylvania
  • You are a resident of Pennsylvania and your last official duty station was outside of the U.S.
  • You were employed in Pennsylvania after separation from your federal employer