Mixed Earners Unemployment Compensation (MEUC)
On March 11, 2021, the American Rescue Plan extended MEUC. For those that did not already apply,
online applications can still be submitted. The application deadline is September 3, 2021. Supporting documents MUST be submitted within 30 days of the application date.
What is Mixed Earners Unemployment Compensation (MEUC)?
MEUC provides $100 in extra benefits to individuals with at least $5,000 in net income from self-employment during the applicable tax year, described below.
You must meet the following to be eligible for MEUC:
- You must be receiving an unemployment benefit from a program other than Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA).
- You must be receiving an unemployment benefit for claims week(s) covered by the MEUC program, which are January 2, 2021 through September 4, 2021
- You must have at least $5,000 in net income from self-employment in the applicable tax year, (see “Acceptable Documentation” below).
- You must apply for the MEUC program and submit documentation which clearly shows $5,000 net income.
As stated above, your documentation must be for the applicable tax year and show at least $5,000 in net income. Gross income is not acceptable.
If you receive regular Unemployment Compensation (UC), your applicable tax year is the year before the effective date (“AB Date”) of your claim. If you receive either Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) or Extended Benefits (EB), you will refer to the AB Date of your original UC claim.
- If your AB Date is any time from January 5, 2020 through December 27, 2020,
submit document for tax year 2019.
- If your AB Date is any time from January 3, 2021 through August 29, 2021, submit documents for tax year 2020.
Your AB Date is printed on the Notice of Financial Determination you received previously from the Office of Unemployment Compensation Benefits.
Submit your tax return for the correct tax year. If your tax return is not available (e.g., because you have not yet filed your taxes), acceptable documentation of self-employment income includes, but is not limited to:
- Self-employment paycheck stubs
- Business records
Applications and documentation must be submitted online by September 3, 2021. Do not submit more than once.
Because the MEUC program has its own requirements, existing claimants will not automatically receive this benefit. You must submit proper documentation and meet all program qualifications to be approved and receive MEUC payments.
Log in as if you are filing biweekly claims. Choose the "MEUC" button and follow the instructions to submit your application.
Upload: If you apply to MEUC online, there is an option to upload documentation within the application. It is best to supply all documents when you apply, however if that is not possible you can click "Apply for MEUC" later and upload additional items.
Important MEUC Information
Your self-employment income will be checked against L&I’s records and shared with the PA Department of Revenue. Any self-employment not previously disclosed may be investigated.
MEUC payments may affect your eligibility for Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). There is no legal exception providing that MEUC payments will be disregarded for purposes of determining income for these programs.
- MEUC payments are subject to child support deductions.
- MEUC payments are subject to federal withholding tax and will follow the choice you made for your underlying benefit payment.
- You will not file separate weekly claims for MEUC. If approved, your MEUC payment(s) is/are made automatically.
- If you commit fraud, you are subject to fines and other penalties.