Begin Main Content Area



The department recently requested that you submit copies of your work search records. This site has been established to provide a simple method to submit your work search records in a timely manner. If the department did not send you a written request to submit your work search records, do NOT submit them to the department. Instead, retain the records for a period of two years.

An interactive version of the Work Search Record, Form UC-304, can be accessed from this site by clicking on the form image. You will be able to submit your completed form directly to the department by using the form’s “Submit” button. When you click on the “Submit” button, you will be prompted to open your email/webmail client. Once your email/webmail client is open, you may attach any supporting documents and send them along with the UC-304 via your email/webmail client.

If you are having trouble opening your email client, and are not able to submit the form directly from the site, please try the following:

  1. Complete the Form UC-304 on this site,
  2. To save, click the Save As button and save to your computer or device,
  3. Open your email client and send the completed UC-304 as an attachment, along with any supporting documents, to

Please do not submit questions to, as this is an unmonitored account.

Answers to questions about your weekly work search are provided below.

Q. What are the weekly work search requirements?
A. Generally, beginning with the third week in your benefit year for which you file a UC claim, you must apply for two jobs and participate in one work search activity each week.

Q. What kind of jobs can I apply for?
A. You may apply for jobs that would provide suitable work; that is, any work that you are capable of performing. However, you are allowed to limit your job applications to jobs that offer employment and wages similar to what you had before you became unemployed, and are within a 45 minute commute. If adhering to that limitation would prevent you from applying for two jobs, for each job application within that limitation that you are unable to make, you may apply for a job offering suitable work or you may participate in a work search activity.

Q. What are the acceptable ways to apply for a job?
A. You may apply for a job in person, by mail, phone or electronic transmission, by submitting a job application or résumé to the employer, or by following a hiring procedure established by the employer. A repeated application for the same job does not count unless there is a reasonable basis to believe that the employer’s hiring circumstances have changed.

Q. What qualifies as a work search activity?
A. You may choose from these seven work search activities:

  • Attend a job fair
  • Search positions posted on the PA CareerLink® system or Internet job banks
  • Create or post a résumé in the PA CareerLink® system or post a résumé in other résumé posting services
  • Contact colleagues, former co-workers or other individuals in similar professions or occupations to make known your availability for employment or obtain information about available positions, prospective employers or other employment opportunities
  • Utilize an employment agency, employment registry or school placement service
  • Take a civil service test or other pre-employment test
  • Participate in a program or activity offered through the Pennsylvania CareerLink® system
If you live outside of Pennsylvania, you may participate in these types of activities offered by your state employment service.

Q. Can I take credit for a job interview?
A. Yes, you may substitute a job interview by an employer for one of your job applications or a work search activity.

Q. Can I take credit for an extra job application?
A. Yes, if you apply for more than two jobs in a week, you do not have to participate in a work search activity during that week.

Q. Are the weekly requirements different if I am working part-time?
A. If you are working part-time during a week and you earn more than your partial benefit credit (PBC), you only have to apply for 1 job during the week, instead of 2, and you do not have to participate in a work search activity during that week.

Q. Do I have to keep a record of my job applications and work search activities?
A. Yes. You are encouraged to use Form UC-304, entitled “Work Search Record.” A copy of the form is included in the Pennsylvania UC Handbook (Form UCP-1), and the form is available on this website. You are not required to use Form UC-304 as long as your record includes the same information that would be contained on Form UC-304. You must retain your record for a period of 2 years from your Application for Benefits (AB) date. Do not send your work search record to the department unless you are asked to do so.

Q. How can I know if I have met the work search requirements for a week?
A. You may use this chart to verify that you have satisfied the UC work search requirements. Each column in the chart represents one of the three weekly requirements. In each column, check the box that indicates how you satisfied that requirement or a substitute requirement. You may enter only one checkmark for each job application, work search activity or interview. If you are able to check one box in each column, you have satisfied your UC work search requirements for the week.

1st Job Application 2nd Job Application Work Search Activity
  ___ I applied for a job.
  ___ I participated in a work search activity because I am limiting my job applications.
  ___ I had a job interview.
  ___ I applied for a job.
  ___ I participated in a work search activity because I am limiting my job applications.
  ___ I had a job interview.
  ___ I participated in a work search activity.
  ___ I applied for a 3rd job.
  ___ I had a job interview.
  ___ I worked part-time during the week and earned more than my PBC. If so, a second job application and a work search activity are not required.