Begin Main Content Area

Federal/Military Employees: Ex-Service Member

UC for Ex-Service Member (UCX)

UCX is a federal program (5 U.S.C. 8521 et seq.) that governs the payment of UC to former members of the Armed Forces and the Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) who fulfill the eligibility requirements of State and Federal law.
The federal requirements you must meet to allow your military wages to be assigned to Pennsylvania to establish UCX financial entitlement are as follows:
  • have had active federal military service;
  • have been discharged or released under honorable conditions;
  • if an officer, have not resigned for the good of the service;
  • have completed the first full term of active service initially agreed upon at enlistment, or if not, were released: (1) for the convenience of the government under an early release program; (2) because of medical disqualification, pregnancy, parenthood, or service - incurred injury or disability; (3) for hardship; or (4) for personality disorders or ineptitude, if served at least 365 continuous days;
  • as a reservist or National Guard member, must have been on continuous active military duty for 180 days or more;
  • be physically present in Pennsylvania when filing an initial claim.
Note: Former service members are not eligible for UCX benefits while receiving a subsistence allowance for certain vocational rehabilitation training, or an educational assistance allowance or special training allowance under the War Orphan's Educational Assistance Act (38 U.S.C. 1700 et seq.).
You must mail or fax a copy of your DD Form 214 Member 4, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or NOAA Form 56-16, Report of Transfer or Discharge. Do not send your original forms.
Federal Programs Unit - Room 604
Labor & Industry Bldg.
651 Boas St.
Harrisburg, PA 17121-0044
Fax: 717-772-0378

Weekly Benefit Rate

Your weekly benefit rate as set forth on your Notice of Financial Determination will depend upon your pay grade at the time of your separation from the military. These pay grades are provided to the department and updated annually by the U.S. Department of Labor.
The information provided on this site does not constitute a determination of eligibility to receive unemployment compensation.