Military Employees: Ex-Service Member (UCX)
What is the UCX program?
What are the requirements for this program?
Is there any additional documentation needed?
Why do I have to send in the member 4 copy and not the member 1 copy of the DD-214?
How can I get a member 4 copy of the DD-214?
Is the weekly benefit rate calculated different for military claimants?
I have more than 180 days but the service was not consecutive. Can I use these wages?
Can I use my orders as proof of military service?
Do you need my paystubs to assign my wages?
My residence is in PA, but I am living outside of PA. Why can't I open a claim in PA?
1. What is the UCX program?
UCX is a Federal program (5 U.S.C. 8521 et seq.) that governs the payment of UC to former members of the Armed Forces and the Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) who fulfill the eligibility requirements of state and federal law.
2. What are the requirements for this program?
Have had active federal military service and
- Been discharged or released under honorable conditions
- If an officer, have not resigned for the good of the service
- Have completed the first full term of active service initially agreed upon at enlistment, or if not, were released:
- (1) for the convenience of the government under an early release program;
- (2) because of medical disqualification, pregnancy, parenthood, or service-incurred injury or disability;
- (3) for hardship; or
- (4) for personality disorders or ineptitude, if served at least 365 continuous days
- As a reservist or National Guard member, must have been on continuous active military duty for 180 days or more
physically present in Pennsylvania when filing an initial claim
3. Is there any additional documentation needed?
You must send a copy of your DD Form 214 Member 4, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or NOAA Form 56-16, Report of Transfer or Discharge using one of the methods listed below. (Do not send your original forms.)
Labor & Industry Building
Federal Programs Unit
651 Boas St.
Harrisburg, PA 17121
4. Why do I have to send in the member 4 copy and not the member 1 copy of the DD-214?
The member 4 copy has your
character of service and
narrative reason for separation, which is needed to determine eligibility. The member 1 copy does not have this information.
5. How can I get a member 4 copy of the DD-214?
- From your unit
- The Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office
- Online at
6. Is the weekly benefit rate calculated different for military claimants?
Yes. Your weekly benefit rate will depend upon your pay grade at the time of your separation from the military. These pay grades are provided to the department and updated annually by the U.S. Department of Labor.
7. I have more than 180 days but the service was not consecutive. Can I use these wages?
No, it must be 180 consecutive days with no breaks in service.
8. Can I use my orders as proof of military service?
Yes, orders can be used as proof of service if they contain the following:
"orders to report" AND "orders of release"
"orders to report" containing an endorsement of release
9. Do you need my paystubs to assign my wages?
No, wages are assigned according to your pay grade.
10. My residence is in PA, but I am living outside of PA. Why can't I open a claim in PA?
Federal law states that you must be physically present in the state you are filing your initial claim.
The information provided on this site does not constitute a determination of eligibility to receive unemployment compensation.