Begin Main Content Area

Filing for Unemployment Compensation FAQs

Expand AllClick here for a more accessible version

I am a Pennsylvania resident laid off from a job in another state, where should I file a claim for unemployment benefits?

I need to back date my claim for weeks I was unable to claim in the UC application during the COVID-19 pandemic. How do I get paid for those missed weeks?

I was laid off last month and didn't file an Application for Benefits right away. Can I get paid for those weeks?

I’m collecting severance pay from my employer. Should I wait until I’m no longer collecting severance pay to file my application?

I received a new full-time job. Do I need to report this to the UC service center?

When do I receive a personal identification number (PIN), the UCP-1 (UC handbook), and a UC debit card?

How can I check the status of my initial claim?

I don't live in Pennsylvania, but worked there, and need to file for unemployment. Where should I file for benefits?

My name has changed. How can I change it on my claim

How long does my claim stay open?

Can I re-open my claim myself?

Can I cancel my claim after opening it?

When do I use a PIN number?

I am a naturalized or authorized worker. How should I submit my documentation to receive unemployment benefits?

How does severance, separation or salary continuation pay affect my UC benefits?

Will receiving a pension make me ineligible for UC benefits?

May I collect UC benefits while attending school?